Monday, December 31, 2018

2018 Year In Review: Voleer the Reporter



2018 Year In Review: Voleer the Reporter

I’ve learned many lessons in 2018 and covered many events as a reporter and a journalist.

Initially, this blogpost was going to be ‘My Top 5 Moments as A Reporter’ but after reviewing what I covered in 2018, there were actually ELEVEN!

So, let’s begin!


Here are my Top 11 Moments as A Reporter in 2018:

#11 National Adoption Day celebration at UF

November was National Adoption Month and the University of Florida’s law school held a ceremony for families and the their newly-adopted children.

I interviewed the Pope family where they adopted three boys within one year and welcomed one of the three boys into the family in November.


The family had an ‘Incredible’ time welcoming their newest son, Jeffrey Pope (middle) to the family.

Watch the video here: 



#10 Essay Contest Winner at Caring and Sharing Learning School

This story will definitely tug at your heart strings.


The founder of Queen Vision Ministries, Sabriena Williams, surprised 2nd grader Daijah Williams at the Caring and Sharing Learning School after winning an essay contest.


Daijah’s mother, Sabrina Williams, submitted the essay describing why her daughter was deserving of the award for a day at the spa.

Daijah’s advice at the end of the video below left me inspired and I’m sure it will do the same for you.




#9 U.S. Olympian in Ocala

Skating Anyone?


Ocala native and U.S. Olympian speed skater Erin Jackson visited her hometown in July to skate with students who attend the Boys & Girls Club at the Skate-A-Way South skating rink in Ocala.

I interviewed students and the speed skater herself about what the event meant to them.

I put on some skates and hit the skating rink myself lol. I definitely wished I knew a thing or two about skating before I went but everything went well 😊




#8 International Urban Artist ‘Bik Ismo’ paints mural in Gainesville


Renowned International Urban Artist and Puerto Rican native Joshua Santos Rivera, also known as Bik Ismo came to Gainesville to showcase his artistry.

Rivera is also known as ‘The Chrome Master’ and after seeing his previous artwork, that title suits him well.


Rivera spray-painted many chrome-like murals of animals and this year he spray-painted a gator in Downtown Gainesville.

To see the Chrome Gator yourself, visit 18 Southwest 1st Avenue.




#7 Two Dixie County residents prepare for Hurricane Michael

A very touching story where two women worked together to bring food back to their county in preparation for Hurricane Michael.


As North Central Florida residents prepared for the hurricane, Dixie County residents Sherry Coffill (right) and Terrie Ortega (left) traveled to a food bank in Alachua County to gather and bring back food to the people in their county.

This story shows the power of helping others in their time of need.




#6 Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony of the Cotton Club Museum & Cultural Center

An historic building is finally preserved in Gainesville. This ribbon-cutting ceremony brought hundreds of people to the event, even the daughters of B.B. King and Bo Diddley.


The name of the building was derived from the Cotton Club in Harlem after musician Sarah McKnight purchased the building around the 1950s.

The board of directors for the Cotton Club have been working on restoring the building since 2003.

The link below is the recap video of the ribbon-cutting ceremony.




WOW! You made it to number 5! Here’s a virtual high-five!


Let’s keep it movin’!


#5 First time covering elections (Midterm Elections 2018)

As a journalist covering news, most journalists/reporters say covering the elections is our Super Bowl.

I was assigned to cover the State House District 10 race which covers five counties in North Central Florida.


I created a video where I interviewed each candidate about their background and their platform.




#4 First time going live in the WCJB-TV studio

Many repetitions I’ve done for stand-ups in the field prepared me for the moment to go live in the studio.


I’ve been getting comfortable going live in the studio ever since and I’m fortunate for every opportunity to do so.

The story I covered was about the construction that was underway for an eco-friendly park in Gainesville.

The eco-friendly facility is a waste sustainable management strategy to allow people to be innovative with recycled material.

Watch the video of the studio report here: 


Watch the video of the news package here: 



#3 Covering breaking news of the death of two Gilchrist County deputies

In April, I covered the breaking news of two Gilchrist County deputies who were shot and killed while eating lunch in a restaurant in Trenton.


The community came together to honor Deputy Taylor Lindsey and Sergeant Noel Ramirez.

A memorial service was created for them in the city of Bell to remember their lives.




#2 Writing for the Gainesville Guardian and Zion Magazine

The love of writing was the reason I fell in love with journalism.

In 2018, I was grateful to be given the opportunity to write for a newspaper and a magazine in Gainesville.

In February, I started writing for an online magazine called Zion Magazine and in August, I started writing for the Gainesville Guardian.



I’ve written some pieces I’m proud of thus far. I’m glad I overcame self-doubt and told myself that I am worthy to be a writer and a journalist.

2018 was the year I got a hold of my passion again—and I won’t let go.

Read below to a few articles I’ve written in 2018.




#1 National Association of Black Journalists Conference in Detroit

Being in the presence of other journalists in such a historic city like DETROIT, you already know this was a big moment for me in 2018.


I’ve learned great tips from journalists across the world and left each workshop I’ve attended feeling inspired.

The inspiration even made me create a ‘Write a blogpost everyday challenge’ while I was attending the NABJ conference and I’m glad I did.


Read all of my blogposts below documenting my time at the conference.

NABJ '18 Blogposts: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, and My Top 5 Workshops at NABJ18


YOU MADE IT! 

Thank You so much for taking the time to read this blogpost 😊 It really means a lot to me.

2018 was a great year; now let’s make 2019 an even better one!


No comments:

Post a Comment