From money advice to copyright in digital media to education
to launching your own media company to tools on being a better MMJ—it’s safe to say that my schedule for Day 2 of
#NABJ18 was BOOKED!
I learned so much from today’s workshops and I’m glad you are
taking the time to read what happened.
I am sure you will finish reading the blog with tips you can use
to further your career.
Workshops
Words Are Wealth
The first workshop I attended for the convention was the Turn
Your Content Into Cash workshop.
One thing that stood out to me in the description of the
workshop was, ”… journalists are really infopreneurs.” After the workshop, I
realized that statement had a point.
The workshop definitely gave me tips on how to turn words into
wealth. The panel shared a variety of ways to use your journalism skills such as blogging, creating a podcast, and creating online courses for your niche.
The panel consisted of:
- AJ Williams - Chickdom.com
- Tamara Hartley - TamaraHartley.com
- Missy Johnson- Askdrmissy.com
A good tip I’ve learned was ‘Repurposing.' It is when you take
one topic and use the topic to create books, a workbook, a journal, a podcast,
and a YouTube video.
The same topic is being distributed to different platforms
which gives your audience and your niche the opportunity to select from a
variety of content from the same topic.
You can use the repurposing method on multiple topics and
create multiple streams of income while you’re at it.
Order In The Court!
I attended the Legal Issues in Copyright and Digital Media workshop and I came out of that workshop feeling like Judge Judy lol.
I learned about what is copyrightable, the meaning of
authorship, and how registering for the copyright of your work is not the same
as copyright protection. However, copyright registration is necessary to sue for infringement.
Topics such as infringement, fair-use, licenses & assignments
were also talked about extensively.
Using a picture from Google Images for your own personal use
is not the best way to add pictures to your work. The speaker says it’s best to
use a picture you took yourself to avoid any legal issues from the
photographer.
The notes from this workshop is definitely something I will
do more research on in the future.
Education Is Key
The Importance of Educating our Black Children workshop had engaging
conversations from the panelists and the audience.
The workshop discussed solutions to ensure Black children
are prepared for college or their careers. The panelists shared how learning
statistics have been stagnant for the past few years.
The panelists consisted of:
- Chris Stewart, CEO of the Wayfinder Foundation
- Dr. Deborah McGriff, Managing Partner at New Schools Venture Fund
- Jamar McKneeley, Founder and CEO of InsipreNOLA which is the largest Black-led charter management organization in New Orleans
- Shawnta Barnes, Teacher and Mother of two sons
In the workshop, Barnes stated how the community should hold teachers
accountable and McGriff shared how the community should hold themselves
accountable when they are voting for candidates for the school board.
McKneeley discussed how building self-esteem prior
to children being educated will provide greater results in the future.
Boss Up
I received some amazing tips on what it’s like to launch
your own media company. The Innovation Bubble: Launching Your Own Media Company
workshop had three panelists sharing their experiences on what it takes to run their own media company.
The panelists were:
- Jiquanda Johnson: FlintBeat.com
- Tyree Worthy: GentillyMessenger.com
- Wendi Thomas: MLK50.com
I learned that there is a business side when it comes to
operating a media company. Resources, funding, and partnerships are important to
keep the media company afloat.
The panelists agreed that the founder of the media company will soon
have to leave the writer role and become the speaker and promoter on behalf
of the media company they created.
I also learned the difference between an audience and
traffic to your website. An audience are readers who takes the time to
read your content; traffic is the use of clickbait articles and the only
concern being page views and not the content of the work.
'Know your audience and meet people where there are' is one of
the many great tips I heard from the workshop.
Your Smartphone Is Your Greatest Tool As An MMJ
In Innovation Bubble: Step Up Your Mobile Journalism Game
workshop, speaker and NABJ Founder Allison Davis had her journalism gear on
display for the audience.
There were smartphone tripods, gimbals, lights for your
smartphones, and so much more. Davis also shared a video editing app called Filmic
Pro where you can edit videos on your smartphone.
Davis says how smartphones aren’t only for taking selfies; they are
great for storytelling as well.
Farewell (For Now)
Thank you for reading Day 2 of my #NABJ18 experience. Please
read Day 1 if you haven’t had the chance.
Stay tuned for Day 3!
Website: https://voleermthomas.wordpress.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/voleerthomas
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/voleerthereporter/
Blog: http://voleerthereporter.blogspot.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/voleerthomas
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/voleerthereporter/
Blog: http://voleerthereporter.blogspot.com/





No comments:
Post a Comment